I played my first paying gig as a bassist at 13 years of age, and I have been working steadily since then with jazz combos, big bands, orchestras, singers, choirs, musical theatre, and most recently in film. This year, I’ve added to my experience with a number of studio recording sessions for CD’s and demo releases, and I really enjoy working in the studio to help get the best possible sounds.
While I love playing in all these genres, my favourite setting is playing small group jazz with my friends, and I’ve had lots of experience playing this way, both as leader and as side-man.
My goal is to continue to expand my versatility while playing more and more of the music I love. In addition to working, I continue to study intently, focussing on jazz bass with Jim Vivian in Toronto and Jodi Proznick in Vancouver, classical bass with VSO bassist J. Warren Long, and jazz piano with multi-instrumentalist Miles Black.
- 2017 Fraser MacPherson Jazz Scholarship - awarded to BC's most promising jazz musicians under age of 24
- Four Year Full Tuition Scholarship at the University of Toronto
- 2016 BC Arts Council Scholarship
- 2016 BC Provincial Award of Excellence Scholarship
- 2016 JEN Canadian Musician of the Year
- 2016 BC Music Educators Association Instrumental Jazz Scholarship
- 2015 Phil Nimmons - National Arts Centre Most Outstanding Jazz Performer Award at Musicfest Canada
- 2015 and 2016 Musicfest Canada National Honour Award
- Selected to Canada's 2015 and 2016 National Youth Jazz Combo
- Selected to 2015 All-Canadian Jazz Festival Showcase Combo
- Produced, programmed, and performed “High School Jazz Showcase” for Jazz at Presentation House Series 2014-2015
- B.C. Honour Jazz Band Bassist, 2013-2016
- Finalist in 2015 VSO Future of Excellence Concerto Competition
- Principal Bassist, Lions Gate Youth Orchestra, Clyde Mitchell, Director. 2013 - 2016.
- Performed with Lions Gate Sinfonia, Plastic Acid, and Fraser Valley Philharmonic professional orchestras